Job Title: BPH Navigator
Reports to: Director of Clinical Operations
Summary: Facilitates care in all phases of BPH, including diagnosis, treatment, and transitional care continuum. The nurse navigator will integrate the roles of healthcare promoter, educator, counselor, care coordinator, case manager, researcher, and patient advocate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advocate for and uphold the physical and psychological dimensions of care and ensure that navigation services are accessible to all those affected by BPH.
- Works with a multidisciplinary team to develop and implement an up-to-date care plan.
- Proactively address patients and families concerns throughout their healthcare experience within the BPH algorithm and pathway.
- Contacts, monitors, and coordinates care for prostate cancer; guides the patient and their families through their experience.
- Answers healthcare questions, provides education, helps them understand the diagnosis and treatment options.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with key internal and external staff (including physicians, nurses, radiology staff, social service staff, business office staff)
- Facilitates timely access to appropriate healthcare resources, including appointments and diagnostic testing and support for follow up care.
- Demonstrates critical thinking and uses the nursing process to assess and meet the needs of patients.
- Contacts and meets with pharmaceutical and sales representatives as needed regarding treatment pathways.
- Streamline appointments and paperwork by helping patients with scheduling appointments and preparation. Track and document interventions and outcomes.
- Ensure appropriate communication of patient progress to referring physicians and other care providers.
- Organize and maintain referred BPH patients throughout the BPH pathway and contact as needed for progression.
- Complete patient phone calls and document as per protocol.
- Meet with Director of Clinical Operations to discuss results and assist as needed to further develop nurse navigation program.
- Properly maintain patient files, records, and other information.
- Attend required in-services and meetings, participate in professional development activities; maintain professional affiliation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High school graduation or GED
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Pleasant and professional personality; Microsoft Word and Excel, computer experience within an EMR system; Medical terminology; Ability to organize; Ability to work independently; Professional communication skills.
ENVIRONMENTAL / WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment. Involves frequent personal communication and telephone contact with patients and other providers. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation and sitting for extended periods of time. May require lifting of objects more than 25 pounds. Ability to stand, walk, reach above head, squat, bend at the waist, and twist.